There are many different types of floor tiles. Generally, they are easy to clean and very durable as they are wear-resistant, waterproof and corrosion resistant. Though floor tiles are easy to clean, it is important to clean them regularly to prevent the accumulation of dirt that may require you to use harsh chemicals later.
Basically, if you follow below simple steps to clean your floor tiles daily, they will look great for a long time.
Steps To Clean For Your Floor Tiles Daily
- Vacuum The Floor Daily – Keep floor tiles free from dirt and dust always. You can also use a duster or broom to sweep the floor. Do not use any strong brush or broom that may scratch the floor tiles.
- Mop The Floor With Warm Water After Vacuum – Make sure the water is clean as any dirty water will stain the grout and affect the appearance of your tile flooring. You can also add a few drops of white vinegar in the warm water to mop the floor.
- Mop or Clean Dry The Floor – This is to prevent any dust and dirt from becoming hard to remove after the floor dries up.
Dust is everywhere and as we walk around we carry dirt and grit along with us and that will easily dirty our floor tiles again. It is good to have the following practice as this will keep your floor tiles clean most of the day.
Things You Should Do To Keep Your Tiles Clean
- Floor mats – Place floor mats at the entrance so that people can step on it and remove as much dust and dirt from it before stepping on your floor files.
- Clean Up Spills – Whenever there are spills, clean up the mess immediately. Even the spill is just water, anyone stepping on the spill may leave dirty stains on your floor tiles. For greasy spills, you will need a cleanser or disinfectant. Just make sure to clean dry the floor tiles after every cleaning. Be careful of too strong chemicals as they may stain your tiles.
- Deep Clean – Floor tiles should be deep cleaned every now and then to remove any left behind residues or stains. Cleaning solutions used are stronger but should not cause any harm or damage to your tiles.
How To Deep Clean Your Floor Tiles
Method 1 – For Standard Deep Clean
- Prepare Cleaner – Mix warm water and vinegar in the proportion of 1:32
- Mop the floor with the cleaner
Method 2 – To Remove Grease
- Prepare Cleaner – Mix dish detergent and water. Proportion depends on the greasiness
- Clean the grease with the cleaner
- Clean the grease area with warm water
- Repeat step 2 and 3 till the grease removed
- Continue with Method 1
Method 3 – To Remove Stain from Tiles and Grout
- Prepare Cleaner – Mix baking powder and warm water in the proportion of 1:2
- Place the cleaner onto the stain for at least 5 minutes. The more stubborn the stain, leave it for a longer time. For extremely stubborn stains, you may leave it overnight.
- Scrub the stained area with a soft brush for tiles and toothbrush for grout
- Wash or rinse the area with warm water to remove any residue
- Repeat step 3 and 4 till the stain removed
- Continue with Method 1
The best way to keep your floor tiles looking good for many years is to have a have a good regular maintenance as we all know that prevention is better than cure.